I was having too much fun installing and configuring Foundation Services this week and would like to share some of my experiences. hopefully it will come handy for some of you out there.
Here is my setup
Windows 2008 64bit VMware Virtual Box.
CPU: Quard Code
Database: Oracle 11G
1. Windows box on which DRM and Foundation services are being installed does not have internet connection.
2. McAfee Enterprise actively monitors all the processes and file access.
It was a pain to install DRM because i was not able to download anything from internet. here is the list.
1. Internet Explorer Updates.
2. .NET 4 Framework (realized later that i could have used Server Manager to add the .NET Role).
3. Firefox (Just in case things didn’t work on IE)
After overcoming the hurdles DRM was installed successfully.
Install of foundation services started smooth but then took for ever for the process to move a millimeter.
This was not supposed to happen so i started Monkeying around the process that was taking up cpu cycles and ram and notices about 25% of cpu was used by McAfee. now as any money would do, i jumped from task manager to McAfee on access status and Bazinga, it was intercepting each and every file installation process was accessing, not only that it actually blocked 16 files. So now i had left with no choice than to pause ‘McAfee mshield’ service and boom installation finishes within 2 minutes. Now that installation was successful i resumed ‘McAfee‘ but it didn’t stop there, it started the attack when i started extending WebLogic to deploy security policy. so again i pause it and continued, it all went smooth until ‘extending domain’ didn’t like ‘_’ (underscore) in the host name. it only complained but let me continue but at the end it did not extend/partially extended security policy.
Moral of the story:
Keep an eye on process that are keeping eye on your processes. (McAfee).
Stop and resolve any issues/dependencies if process complains.